



Potrero Yard Neighborhood Working Group Meeting 16 Minutes

Monday, August 3, 2020, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Zoom Webinar, Webinar ID: 892 2114 5248

(Virtual)

Note – The meeting minutes capture the overall tone of the group’s discussion and is not meant to be an exact transcription.

Members Present:

Alexandra Harker
J.R Eppler
Magda Freitas
Alexander Hirji
Claudia Delarios Moran
Roberto Hernandez
Mary Sheeter
Kamilah Taylor
Thor Kaslofsky

Members Not Present:

Brian Renehan
Scott Feeney
Benjamin Bidwell

SFMTA Staff:

Rafe Rabalais
Adrienne Heim
Licina Iberri
Pamela Owen Adams
Kerstin Magary

Other Attendees:

Kristina Phung (SF Planning)
Wade Wietgreffe (SF Planning)
Rosie Dilger (consultant)
Abraham Vallin (consultant)
Jenny Zhou (consultant)
Ronald Mitchell (SFMTA, Muni
Operator and Joint Labor)
Neil P
Ryan Marcelo
Silvia Stocco
T Robinson
Talei Howai
Victoria Fong
William Gorham
Brian Petersen
Chris Jauregui
Dan
Diane Fischer
Frank Baltz
Roberto Jenkins
Monica A



Purpose of the Meeting

To discuss project general updates, hear from SF Planning's Environmental Planning staff about the CEQA process and discuss RFP Subcommittee findings and recommendations.

Item 1. Welcome & Rules for Virtual Engagement

Rosie Dilger welcomed everyone to the meeting, and reminded the participants of virtual etiquette.

Item 2. Wellness Check In & Icebreaker

Adrienne Heim then transitioned to the Wellness Check-In and invited Working Group members to share their strategies for staying productive at home.

Adrienne Heim: Welcome everyone, to our August Working Group Meeting, I hope you're doing well. Thank you to our members who joined the subcommittee meetings over the last few weeks. I want to check in to see how you are feeling today. I want to hear about how you stay productive and motivated while going about your day to day at home.

I'll start, I'm feeling good today and it's sunny in my part of the city. I stay productive and motivated by listening to music. It helps a lot.

Rosie Dilger: Lately, I've been going on walks during my lunches, forcing myself to get out of the house, to take a call where I don't need to be in front of the computer definitely helps, or to get some fresh air and get my blood pumping. I don't always do it as much as I'd like but it definitely helps and makes me feel better and stronger about work when I get back home.

Claudia Delarios Moran: Hi everybody, I stay productive and motivated through my inbox. I have deadlines and people waiting for me to respond to things, and move projects forward. I feel like I don't really have a choice. I have responsibilities to others.

J.R Eppler: Hi there, well I'm J.R and I'm feeling fine today. Two different ways that I stay productive: one is that when I'm at home, my wife is also at home, so I have her looking over my shoulder. I also have a separate office in a secure location should I need solitude to focus.

Alex Harker: Hi, I recently started running again. It's challenging but it has been a really good way to get outside and clear my head. Is there anyone else that wants to share?

Rosie Dilger: I commend you for that, I hate running. You can run for the both of us.

Alex Harker: Sure!

Rafe Rabalais: I'll share a pastime, through the miracle of Google Street View you can view almost any city in the world. If I want to see what Nairobi looks like, what Tel Aviv looks like, Milan, or something like that, you can just drop in and take a stroll just to see what another part of the world looks like, in the absence of real travel.



Mary Sheeter: Hi, what keeps me sane is going on long walks and having meals with my family.

Rosie Dilger: Great, does anyone else want to share before we move on?

Rosie Dilger transitioned to Working Group Member Announcements

Item 3. Working Group Member Announcements & Alex Harker Presentation

Rosie Dilger: Is there anything you'd like to share with us? Any community conversations you'd like to share?

Rosie then welcomed Alex to begin her presentation to the group.

Alex Harker: I started working on a different community project, and it's at the point which I'd like to share with all of you because it's in close proximity to the Potrero Yard. I know J.R has already heard this, so I'll go through it pretty quickly. I've been working on a project where I wanted to volunteer with the Native California Plant Society and they put me in touch with a woman named Jean who is working on the Potrero Gateway Project, which J.R is on the steering committee for, as well as Mary's husband, Daniel.

Jean really wanted to have a demonstration garden as part of that Potrero Gateway Project, and by working with a colleague of mine, Nicky Coquelly, we were able to take a look at what was unique about the ecology of that site, specifically, which was serpentine bedrock. What's interesting is that portions of the Potrero Yard are also laying atop of this unique geology. It's interesting because it harbors a very specific type of ecology and specific plants, and pollinators. We're going to do a demonstration garden and that is going to be a singular patch, the idea is that one patch will grow into multiple patches so that in effect creates a habitat patch network. That enables movement of different wildlife. For example insects, butterflies, and pollinators.

We worked closely with the California Native Plants Society to develop a planting pattern. These are just a few of the plants that we're planning on using in our demonstration garden. There's almost 100 of them that we're actually using. We looked really closely at what sort of butterflies and other wildlife exist symbiotically with these plants. If you're familiar with the area, 17th Street, Vermont Street, the eco patch which we're conceiving as the demonstration garden, the first phase of the demonstration garden is actually a test garden. Where we're basically doing eight different study areas of different plant combinations. The idea is that we're going to monitor these over the course of a year, and also monitor different maintenance techniques, different weed management strategies, and then use the information that we gather during that year to wrap it into the actual demonstration garden. The timeline for this first planting is this October and then planting the full garden the following October. We've actually already started the process and it's really cool. I found that there's a lot of neighbors that are super engaged and super willing to jump in and help out. We started with sheet mulching, which is one of our weed management strategies. It basically involves just layering compost and cardboard with mulch. The second stage will be planting. We're also trying an additional technique, which is solarization. You basically put plastic and suffocate the weeds out that way. We're also trying to



get people engaged in using this application, iNaturalist, which lets people document plants and wildlife. We have a project specifically set up with iNaturalist to document a quarter-mile radius of this site. So if you see that, it basically includes where the Potrero Yard is. It includes portions of Franklin Square and we are trying to start documentation of stuff right now. Because we want to kind of get a barometer of what exists there currently.

If anyone happens to be interested in getting involved, this is an easy way. Again, neighbors are super engaged which is cool but I wanted to bring it up because I feel like there's a lot of ways that the Potrero Yard project could help support this neighborhood effort that's already started. We don't have a lot of outright planting in the neighborhood, although there are serpentine soil and bedrock conditions. That said, there are opportunities to use the planting palette that we're developing or portions of it. We can use it at street level with the sidewalk planting and the Potrero Yard project could also help put funding towards Franklin Square so that the park could plant more of these plants from our palette. I feel like it's one way that some of the other neighbors that aren't currently aware of the Potrero Yard project could potentially get excited about it, so I'm happy to answer any more questions about it. I'll provide a link to a website where there is more information. Thank you!

Rosie Dilger: Thanks Alex. That was great, I'm going to go back to sharing the screen but I'd like to open up the floor to questions if anyone has anything for Alex.

Mary Sheeter: I have a question, I was wondering, for the iNaturalist involvement, do you want us to share any sort of flora that we have in our vicinity or just what is native?

Alex Harker: Everything, we're just trying to get a sense of what is in the neighborhood. Even if it's been planted. iNaturalist requests that you say this is something that was planted specifically and is not native just so they can separate it out for their records but in terms of the project we want to know about everything.

Mary Sheeter: Great, thank you.

Rosie transitioned over to the COVID-19 Update part of the meeting as there were no further comments or questions.

Item 4. COVID 19 Update

Adrienne Heim: Thank you Rosie, as you know, beginning in April, about 4 months ago we shrunk our Muni service to 17 core routes. We are having some big changes starting Saturday, August 22nd. We are going to introduce our Metro service back with some modifications and eliminate the Muni bus service that has been replicating the Metro service. Beginning on August 22nd we will have the N Judah, L Taraval, K Ingleside, T Third and many more come back online. We're going to have more S shuttles that will enter between West Portal and Embarcadero Station, with two car trains. The shuttles will run exclusively in the subway, the M Ocean View with the T Third, this means you'll be able to use two-car trains on both these lines once service returns. The service on the L and K will be combined and will no longer enter the subway, it will terminate at West Portal Station.



If you need to transfer, you'll have to go to the T and M line, or S shuttle to continue downtown. The J will no longer enter the subway, it will terminate at Market Street so you can continue downtown through the T, M, or S shuttle lines.

Pivoting to parking times and fees, effective September, we will resume enforcing late penalties on parking and traffic citations. Additionally, the deadline for submitting citation protests, payment, and community service plans will resume.

Full payment for outstanding amounts due or protests for parking or transit citations issued before July 21st of this year must be received by August 31st of 2020. If you'd like to stay updated about any correlated items pertaining to SFMTA go to [SFMTA.com/COVID-19](https://www.sfmta.com/COVID-19).

Rosie transitioned to RFQ and Schedule Updates as the Working Group had no questions.

Item 5. RFQ & Schedule Updates

Licinia Iberri: Hey there everyone, I wanted to give you a brief update on the RFQ. We let you know last month that the RFQ had not been released in June as we had hoped. We are still working to get that out. We have now set up monthly meetings with Districts 9 and 10. These are joint meetings with both Districts so we can bring them more on board with the project, and Supervisor Walton's office in District 10 has engaged us to make some edits into the RFQ specifically pertaining to affordable housing. So we are working with their office to determine the language to align with their concerns. The RFQ should go out shortly after that.

The RFP will follow a similar schedule delay, about two months. We had planned to release in the fall; at this point it will be released late fall/winter. We are still drafting the RFP and are full steam ahead to get all of the paperwork ready to go. Hopefully next month we'll have better news and I'll personally make sure a notification gets sent out when the RFQ does go out, so you'll know. As far as CEQA goes, we have our friends from the Environmental Planning division of San Francisco Planning here with us this evening. Last month we had planned for the CEQA Public Scoping meeting to be scheduled for August 26. Because they are moving offices, their phone numbers and addresses are changing, and so to make sure that we receive any comments that are submitted, we are going to move out that timeline to make sure that everyone is able to connect with SF Planning if they want to.

Claudia Delarios Moran: Can you please expand on the questions and concerns that the Supervisors' offices have? Specifically what they want changed surrounding the language for affordable housing?

Licinia Iberri: As we presented in October, we had discussed the affordability of the project as a 50% target. The Supervisors have asked that we look at that concept and invite the development community to look more meaningfully at that goal than the language we had originally included. To really attempt to exceed that 50% affordability target, my understanding of their concern is that, while their offices do understand that the project is trying to address a lot of policy issues, they're also wanting to be aspirational in the language of the RFQ and RFP, and that would really put the burden on the development community to try and meet more city



policy around affordable housing. It's a fine line to walk because we want to make sure that we get proposals from the development community. But we completely understand where the Supervisors offices are coming from, in wanting to voice the City's goals and objectives surrounding affordable housing.

Rafe Rabalais: If I can jump in, too – Lycinia used the term “aspirational” – and the RFQ is such a technical document so we had dialogue with the Supervisor's office. When you're talking about the meat of a project, goals and values, that's the more RFP-level conversation. The Supervisor's point, which I think is a good one, is that we want to signal, as early as possible, a level of ambition and aspiration around the project. The Supervisor's office understands constraints, fiscal constraints, and working constraints. All those kinds of things, and really just wants to challenge the development community to raise the bar as much as possible. We were a little more cautious than maybe what was needed in the initial language. So that's what we're trying to work a little bit more on and make sure everybody's on the same page.

Rosie Dilger: Alright, unless someone has other questions about the RFQ timeline and content, let's move on to the CEQA update. We're very lucky to have Wade and Kristina from Environmental Planning, so I'll just hand it off to you two. Let me know when you're ready for slides.

Rosie transitioned to CEQA Update: SF Planning, Environmental Planning Staff

Item 6: CEQA Update: SF Planning, Environmental Planning Staff

Kristina Phung: Hi everyone! Can everyone hear me?

Wade Wietgreffe: We can hear you Kristina. Good evening everyone, I'm Wade Wietgreffe.

Kristina Phung: Hello everyone, thank you for inviting us here. My name's Kristina Phung and joining me today is Wade Wietgreffe. We both work at the San Francisco Planning Department and the department is responsible for the environmental review of all private and public

projects, including this project proposed by the SFMTA. I am the Deputy Environmental Coordinator for this project. The Environmental Coordinator, Laura Lynch is unable to join us tonight. Wade will be supervising both of us and the preparation of the Environmental Impact Report, or EIR, for this project. First, I will give a short overview of the CEQA process and then I'll give you some updates on the EIR schedule. The EIR process is required by the California Environmental Quality Act. In San Francisco, the CEQA Review is conducted by the Environmental Planning division of the San Francisco Planning Department, and under CEQA, a proposed project and its environmental effects must be disclosed to the public and decision-makers before the project is approved.



The purpose of CEQA is to inform the decision-makers and the public of the proposed project's potential environmental effects, to engage the public in the environmental review process, to disclose potential project impacts on the environment, and to avoid or reduce impacts with alternatives and mitigation measures.

The EIR will describe the project, its existing environment, and will identify reasonably foreseeable projects in the vicinity. The initial study and the EIR will consider these environmental topics. It will consider the individual projects effects, as well as cumulative effects, which is the project in combination with other projects in the vicinity. Now I'll give a brief update on the schedule for the EIR and the upcoming Scoping Meeting.

The first step of the Environmental Process will be the issuance of the Notice of Preparation of the EIR and the Notice of a Scoping Meeting. The Planning Department anticipates publishing this notice on August 19, we will request oral and written comments on the scope of the EIR to be sent to the Department by the listed email address in the Notice by September 18. The Department anticipates hosting a virtual Scoping Meeting on September 2, using Zoom. Further information on how to attend this meeting will be detailed in the notice, including a pre-recorded presentation that will be presented at the Scoping Meeting. The purpose of the Scoping Meeting is for the Planning Department to solicit public comments concerning the potential environmental effects of the project. The comments should focus on significant environmental issues regarding the project, information that would help the environmental analysis, or factors to consider in the analysis. Our current schedule anticipates that we will publish this Draft EIR and Initial Study by early 2021. We will distribute a Notice of Availability (NOA) to interested parties and there will be a public hearing at the Planning Commission during the 45-day comment period on the Draft EIR. In following the close of this comment period, we will respond to comments received during the Draft EIR comment period and will make any changes to the Draft EIR to reflect comments and the Project Description changes. The Draft EIR and the response to comments document will consist of the final EIR. We anticipate that the Planning Commission will certify the Final EIR as adequate, accurate, and objective in late 2021. Certification of the EIR does not mean that the project is going to be approved, rather, it indicates that requirements for CEQA review have been met. The Planning Commission will consider project approval or disapproval separately and only if they've certified the EIR. This concludes our department's update on the EIR schedule. We hope that you can attend the Public Scoping Meeting in September or can still provide comments through email or phone message to the project as described. Thank you and we look forward to working with you all as the project progresses. We're happy to answer questions regarding the general process for environmental review without getting into specifics of the scope of the review.

Rosie Dilger: Kristina, thanks so much! I'll just jump in to remind everyone that when we do have the notification letter and the details for the meeting, we'll put all those on the project website. We'd like to open it up to questions about the process if anyone has any.



Roberto Hernandez: Buenas Noches! I want to understand how you're going to reach people in this community because there's other projects that people were not able to have access to being on Zoom. A lot of people in our community don't have Zoom. There was an uproar on another project and the project got delayed because there were so many people that protested.

Kristina Phung: I can touch on that really fast. So that the same information is conveyed to everyone, what we're planning to do is have the pre-recorded presentation that is going to be uploaded onto YouTube the same day that you're going to get the notice, and that's going to be available the whole time of the comment period. Anyone that can't attend the meeting can visit the link that's on the NOA letter. The Scoping Meeting will show the same presentation.

Wade Wietgreffe: This has been something we've been thinking about, it's an ongoing challenge during this period. You don't have to attend the Scoping Meeting to submit comments. We'll include a call-in number in case you're not able to access Zoom. We will have the notice available in English, Spanish, Tagalog, and Chinese.

Rosie Dilger: Just like this meeting, there will be a phone option for Zoom. We will be posting this information on the Planning site as well as the project site. If anybody has a request for a paper copy, we are happy to send out the notice by mail as well.

Roberto Hernandez: We're finding more and more people with the inability to get on Zoom. For example, when the schools shut down, so many people didn't have internet access, Wifi, laptops, computers – it was a disaster. Besides Zoom, what plans do you have in place to get the word out to people in our community?

Licina Iberri: While people aren't congregating, people are passing through places like community markets. Perhaps we can post the NOP/A in these places to get the information out non-digitally. The one challenge we have is that the video is digital. If people have a smartphone at all, they can view the material without having to engage over Zoom.

Rosie Dilger: If I can jump in, this notification does start with a physical letter to everyone in the physical radius, and in addition to that, the Planning Department has a list of community organizations and neighborhood groups in the area.

Roberto Hernandez: Even though we have made a big effort in the past, and it was challenging prior to this crisis, the challenge is even bigger now. I think about equity in these times. This is really important, every step of this project. This is a huge project, and it's going to affect the neighborhood in major ways. It's clear to me right now that there's not a strategy or plan. We're living in different times.

Rosie Dilger: Alex Harker brought up the different types of surveys to engage perhaps offline. We do use the SMS text-based surveys, and we have one open now. Adrienne, perhaps you want to jump in?



Adrienne Heim: We are proposing to create a survey for the RFP feedback and posting posters to pedestrian high-traffic areas to solicit feedback. We receive a lot of feedback via text messaging through that platform. It's completely doable.

Rosie Dilger: If we have any more questions about the CEQA process, I'd like to open that up, otherwise I will move onto the next slide on the RFP Subcommittees.

Rosie transitioned to RFP Subcommittee Updates as the Working Group had no further questions.

Item 7: RFP Subcommittee Updates

Licinia Iberri: Now that you're on your subcommittees, you can probably see how they relate to each other. We are trying to draw a pretty straight line from the information that we get from you back to the RFP or attach it to the RFP itself. For the Urban Design group, we are trying to encapsulate your feedback in the Urban Design Guidelines. For the Public Benefit group, listed as Community Investment/Open Space/Public Art, we are drafting public benefit principles which will be appended to the RFP. An outline of that went out to the Subcommittee this afternoon. The Housing group is closely connected to the Public Benefit group. A big portion of this project will be housing. Housing will be integrated into both of those attachments that Rafe will be authoring. It will include how potential developers should think about the project. Your feedback will be incorporated. These attachments haven't been shared with the subcommittees yet.

Rafe Rabalais: I have started drafting a detailed outline. By the end of next week, I should be able to share that with the subcommittees for initial feedback. We had a meeting on July 22, and are currently planning another one for Thursday. Thor, would you like to give the highlights?

Thor Kaslofsky: One suggestion for the outreach, is that it might be worth it to have the committee assist with it. For example, Roberto is super involved in the community and the work there. He may have insights and suggestions.

How do the folks in the community get an opportunity to be in the future housing? How can there be a chance for them? For example, like a neighborhood preference?

Another preference, such as the Mayor's Affordable Housing program, should consider the rent burden. Rent burden is when there are folks that are experiencing housing distress and can't afford to live where they live. We also made a note to consider overcrowded households. There are things that already exist and then there are issues that don't already have a regulatory framework today that we would like to be examined.



We would also like to have Muni workers be given housing as well. The committee did not want this housing to displace low-income units, instead, the units should be in addition to the low-income housing.

We also discussed family housing. Units with three bedrooms and more. Over 75% of demolition in the Mission were units that were single-family homes. We do want to do it in the name of density, and we do it with good intentions.

We'd also like to establish some preferences or all of these preferences for the market review, that the developer might be either required or voluntarily entered into. It was also mentioned to capture the future land value for the benefit of this project. This would be some sort of ground lease kind of arrangement. We only know what the value of the land is today.

Claudia DeLarios Moran: That was very thorough, thank you Thor. We want to decide what the composition of the units will be, how many two bedrooms, three bedrooms, etc., and we want to make sure we capture the needs from families, specifically those impacted by displacement. So we included language that prioritizes families in the Mission impacted by displacement within the amount that is set aside for affordable housing.

Thor Kaslofsky: Right, those are the Ellis Act evictions.

Claudia DeLarios Moran: How do we codify the language to make sure we're prioritizing the needs of families that are feeling the crunch of gentrification and displacement.

Roberto Hernandez: I want to thank the committee for the deep thought. It really hits home. Because of the times we are living in, Mayor Breed declared a State of Emergency. When Senator Feinstein was mayor during the AIDS epidemic, we saw wonderful things happen. The homeless shelter for Horace Mann became the model of providing housing for families. I think that this project is the perfect example for housing the homeless.

Rafe Rabalais: Just one final comment, that's a great topic we haven't really talked about, homeless housing. We can add these topics into the equation.

Thor Kaslofsky: You've got to find the money to fund the need. For the developer, what are some of the needs assessments that have been done? There are some resources already, such as First 5, and early learning. What type of affordable housing populations ought to be served in this project? Families and homeless families are a huge critical need.

Rosie Dilger transitioned to the next subcommittee, Public Benefits.

Adrienne Heim: We had two committee meetings, July 16 and 29. We discussed some case studies and aspects of the case studies that the group liked. Then we moved onto conceptual principles. Anyone on the subcommittee want to give an overview on what we discussed?



Mary Sheeter: We wanted to walk the line between flexible spaces for the community to use. We wanted to list specific things that the community is asking for. The spaces should be used very well. There are concerns about the safety of pedestrians in the area. As a member of Friends of Franklin Square, we are interested in seeing a restroom added to the facility or added to Franklin Square as there will be a lot of residents added to the area. Currently, people need to run across the street to use the restroom which is dangerous.

Alex Harker: We talked about public art history in the area, something that would create a landmark, something that has historical use. For example, incorporating the neon lighting on the Hamm's building, precedent for murals, stuff that referenced Muni operations such as historic photos. Maybe include an Artist-in-Residence program as there are a lot of displaced artist studios in this area. It should be more than just a workspace for an artist, but for the artist to develop art for Muni.

Thor Kaslofsky: There were two elements for the art. What is the future of work? What does the new blue collar look like? Make the Latino art and culture visible in this area. This other end of the Mission needs more of the Latino cultural representation.

Claudia DeLarios Maron: The art should be directly from the Mission. The art should keep with the spirit of the Mission.

Mary Sheeter: We want to put in the flexible space for local nonprofits, food vendors, small places for people to rotate into. Make the space appealing to the local nonprofits.

Thor Kaslofsky: For nonprofit space, I'd like to see nonprofits that have been displaced, have potential preference.

Roberto Hernandez: I want to thank the committee for the thoughtful work. For Mission Food, we're beginning to have conversations with people to grow their own food. We have them growing mint. It goes back to teaching people, I want to encourage the consideration of planting food. Thank you for recognizing that there isn't a restroom at Franklin Square. It is Rec and Park's responsibility. What could happen at the park, this space, and KQED? How do we build these three institutions together? Maybe we can grow food on the rooftop? How about apprenticeship programs for television and radio? Families and bus drivers should partner with KQED.

Licina Iberri: I'm going to hand it to J.R, but will frame it a bit first. In the Urban Design subcommittee, we looked at a bit of the case studies if you were part of Urban Design. We looked at themes for architectural style, street art, and big buildings. We discussed ground floor activation and we had our design consultant on the call. The Planning Department and the Urban Design subcommittee are reviewing the Urban Design Guidelines. It might make sense to distribute this to the whole committee.



J.R Eppler: I'll start with ground floor uses. Our committee is playing in the same ballpark as everyone else as to what we're looking at on the ground floor. We'd like to provide programming space and housing for nonprofits and artists. We would like a bathroom at the park as a necessity, childcare particularly because of the family housing aspect and the proximity to the park.

We also looked at other retail uses in that space. The retail spaces should have the synergy of the neighborhood. The signs should really fit into the context when there was a context, it should be culturally relevant without being kitschy. We're in a different part of the city and a different part of the Mission District, and currently it's very industrial. We want to make sure design is reflective of the architectural vernacular of that part of the area. We will have a gigantic building, we should break up the size with various materials, so it can be better perceived from the street or from afar.

Magda Freitas: Incorporate transparency, open cafes, more air circulating. The Muni would take at least two or three floors of the block.

Thor Kaslofsky: How the building is conceived - include some sort of signature element, something visible like the neon lighting. It will be seen from very far away. There's got to be a draw to the area.

J.R Eppler: Studio space, gallery space, there's already an ecosystem upon which to draw.

Thor Kaslofsky: Would be great to have some sort of community space for organizations to use for events and things.

Licinia Iberri: Alexander, is there anything you'd like to include?

Alexander Hirji: The bus yard exterior materials shouldn't conflict with each other. The community room would be a very good idea. Like the Salesforce Transit Center, letting people view into the bus yard to see what's going on in the maintenance, and include bigger windows.

Rosie Dilger: We sent out a survey for ground floor uses in the email and in the chat - please answer the survey for the ground floor use after this meeting if you haven't already.

Rosie then launched polling for RFP Subcommittee Meetings and scheduling feedback, then transitioned to Public Comment after the Working Group completed the survey.

Item 8: Public Comment

Victoria Fong: When the time comes for shortlisting teams, will there be any LBE/SBE requirements or preference for LBE/SBE status?



Licinia Iberri: Thanks for that question, I am going to defer to the time that the RFQ and RFP will actually come out. The RFQ will have some language alluding to it and the RFP will include specific requirements. I can't disclose any particular percentages now, but I can tell you that the project is in San Francisco, it's a large project on a city owned site. You can expect there to be a substantial requirement for this particular issue. I suggest reviewing similarly-sized public projects.

Talei Howai: What about a preference for families with children in public schools?

Licinia Iberri: Similar to what Claudia and Roberto suggested, we can definitely include this in our subcommittee conversations. Anyone else want to jump in and answer?

Roberto Hernandez: Jumping in here, I just want to share with everybody that, one of the things that I am hearing everyday is that people are behind on their rent. There's no way that people will be able to catch up on their rent. We've been working with a lot of volunteers to help residents write letters to their landlords and, oftentimes, there are many landlords who are patient. But often there are many who are still demanding; it's becoming more clear to me that before this crisis we were already in a crisis. Because the Mission experienced seven years of violent gentrification before this, now that we're enduring the COVID-19 crisis, it's going to get worse. This project is the opportunity to make an impact for families who have been displaced. I just want to plant this seed, and ask: how can we take advantage of this opportunity and help those who have been affected by COVID-19?

Further public comment was prompted by Abraham; no members of the public provided additional comments. Rosie thanked all for participating and concluded the meeting.