



**Potrero Yard Neighborhood Working Group Meeting 18 Minutes**

Monday, October 5, 2020, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Zoom Webinar, Webinar ID: 812 6592 5431

(Virtual)

*Note – The meeting minutes capture the overall tone of the group’s discussion and is not meant to be an exact transcription.*

**Members Present:**

Magda Freitas  
Alexander Hirji  
Claudia Delarios Moran  
Roberto Hernandez  
Mary Haywood Sheeter  
Kamilah Taylor  
Scott Feeney  
J.R. Eppler  
Thor Kaslofsky  
Alexandra Harker

**Members Not Present:**

Benjamin Bidwell

**SFMTA Staff:**

Rafe Rabalais  
Adrienne Heim  
Licinia Iberri  
Kerstin Magary  
Daniel Sheeter  
Jonathan Rewers

**Other Attendees:**

Rosie Dilger (consultant)  
Abraham Vallin (consultant)  
Jenny Zhou (consultant)  
Ron Mitchell  
Hugh Cotter  
PY Project  
Chris Jauregui  
Stanley Ng  
Tristan Robinson



## **Purpose of the Meeting**

*To share updates about the project-specific legislation and project schedule and facilitate discussions around the Public Right of Way/Public Realm, Public Benefits Principles, and virtual engagement ideas for public events.*

## **Item 1. Welcome & Rules for Virtual Engagement**

*Rosie Dilger welcomed everyone to the meeting and reminded participants of virtual etiquette.*

## **Item 2. Wellness Check-In & Member Announcements**

*Adrienne Heim then transitioned to the Wellness Check-In and invited Working Group members to share what they are looking forward to this month.*

Adrienne Heim: Good evening, I hope everyone is well. What is everyone looking forward to this month? I'm looking forward to pumpkin spice lattes and Halloween.

Thor Kaslofsky: I'm looking forward to crushing it! Monday isn't over yet; Mondays are for crushing.

J.R. Eppler: I'm inspired, Thor, I like that kind of optimism

Rosie Dilger: I'll join Adrienne; I like Halloween, I do love Halloween decorations, and I have a lot of them.

Mary Sheeter: I love October. I'm excited for Halloween and for dressing up my son as a little bat. Friends of Franklin Square just got a sketch and compiled surveys from the neighborhood. Maybe at the next Working Group meeting I can share the progress. I'll send you the proposal online and we can send it to the group if you want.

Licinia Iberri: I think that's great, Mary, I'll follow up with you on that.

Mary Sheeter: Yes, definitely. There's a community garden space, food trucks, and places to eat and a parking lot area, for when things get back to normal. I'll email it to you offline and you can send it to the Working Group if you want.

Rosie Dilger: This is also our section for member updates, if you have anything to share with the group, we're opening it up for member updates.

J.R. Eppler: I have one. We're getting three new Slow Streets in the neighborhood: Arkansas Street, 20<sup>th</sup> Street, and Minnesota Street are joining the ranks of the Slow Streets.



*Rosie Dilger then transitioned the discussion to the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) COVID-19 service updates.*

### **Item 3. COVID-19 Update**

Adrienne Heim: We don't have many new service updates, but the SFMTA Board passed a resolution for the Bay Area Healthy Transit Plan on September 15. The plan was a collaboration to establish a set of measures for Bay Area transit agencies to ensure the health of transit riders and workers during the COVID-19 pandemic. The SFMTA will report monthly on the project's performance and the alignment with these baseline measures. You can find more information at SFMTA's [Transit Recovery Plan](#) page. And that is it.

### **Item 4. Project-Specific Legislation & Schedule Update**

*Rosie Dilger then introduced Licinia Iberri to speak.*

Licinia Iberri: Great thank you, Rosie. Last month, we talked about a meeting with the Board of Supervisors and about some project-specific procurement legislation that requires a change to the administrative code. We were scheduled for the Budget & Finance Committee last Wednesday.

Prior to the committee meeting, there was some interest taken to the project by some members on the Board of Supervisors. Supervisor Walton agreed with those members to table that item, so the item was not heard. We are now working through that process with Supervisors Peskin and Walton to understand a little more about their issue. There was a feeling that it's not the appropriate time for this legislation.

The language we're requesting in the legislation, we believe we need this language approved by the time we release the Request for Proposals (RFP). One of these reasons being that we would like to pay the firms a design stipend. We have been strongly advised by Arup and others that, if you don't provide some sort of incentive to a project like this, it's difficult for companies to dedicate staff time to prepare a proposal on a project this complex that they may not win. Folks that are starting to propose are starting to think about it now, and they don't even know that they're on the shortlist. By offering the stipend, we'll have a clearer path to owning the work. We feel some urgency, we will continue to work through the political process to hopefully move this process forward along these lines.

We will be going to the San Francisco County Transportation Authority Board (the TA Board). The SFCTA does more programmatic, policy-level work and they administer a lot of local funding. We are proceeding with what we are calling a Prop K request, a sales tax revenue dedicated to transportation improvements.

The SFCTA manages the funding for this. When the SFMTA wants to use these funds, we have to submit an application to the TA Board. The TA Board membership is also the same members



of the Board of Supervisors, acting in a different capacity. Potrero has been in the expenditure's plans. We are requesting those funds. Because we are requesting those funds, there is general political interest in the project now. Because of this, we will be attempting to speak with several of the TA Board members. We hope that it proceeds. Do some of you have questions on the political process or want to say something?

Thor Kaslofsky: I know that the Board of Supervisors' consultation process is sometimes a little opaque, is there any clarity on what the Supervisors are looking for in terms of timing?

Licinia Iberri: Supervisor Peskin and Walton think that the project-specific legislation can be delayed until there's a developer. That could be true, however, the real estate development market might perceive a greater risk if they don't know what the rules are. We're trying to set the framework now. So, we don't know yet, that's our homework to return to that conversation

Mary Sheeter: is there something that we as Working Group members can do at this point?

Licinia Iberri: One of the things we've been doing is to try and create some transparency around the project's development process. What many people perceive is that this part of the project can be somewhat opaque. The Board of Supervisors are all juggling a lot of priorities. I think stakeholders can ask questions or become invested in the project. You can always reach out to your Supervisors to communicate your support. We are entering a phase of this project where it will continue to garner interest. This is not a request that the SFMTA is asking of you, but if you are passionate about this project, contact your Supervisors.

Rafe Rabalais: There's some flexibility with timing on this project. The Supervisors understand that - which is why some of them want to pump the brakes a little bit; they would like to wrap their heads around the project a little bit more. It was a process to get into Supervisor's Walton's office, we provided information to him, but he also provided directions for us. There was very productive dialogue. From April, we've really been able to get District 10 excited about the project.

Again, as Licinia said, their plates are very full. This is a very technical, limited piece of legislation. They have questions and want more clarity, so we'll have opportunities to have more conversations with the Supervisors.

Licinia Iberri: That was the first piece of the update, the second is that the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is open; we were originally going to close it on Friday. We received a lot of thought-provoking questions. This project is really complex and different, even for these companies that have been involved. We've decided to extend the RFQ an additional month. The questions we've received have led to more questions from the developers. If you're interested in how the application process works you can visit [SFBid](#) and pretend to bid for the project. You can also send us an email or let us know if you want this available now. There's a lot of questions, some made us have to sit down and parse things out.



The release for the RFP has been pushed to January or February; that means our developer selection will take place in June or July of next year. We are moving forward with drafting the RFP.

*Licinia then transitioned to the Equity Assessment Scope discussion.*

### **Item 5. Equity Assessment Scope**

Licinia Iberri: We have drafted an Equity Assessment Scope for Potrero Yard and we invited stakeholders to review the scope. We've put together comments from the Working Group and also our internal Racial Equity Action Plan to help draft this. We need to try to be more analytical in the way we approach issues around racism and racial equity. We know that in the past, we may have thought we were being objective, but actually, we were informed by prior racist actions and legislation that now results in a different impact towards Black, Brown, and Indigenous people of color and other marginalized groups.

If any of you have comments on that scope now, we can have a conversation about that. I've received some comments from some of you, so thank you. If anyone wants to give more, please do so by the end of the week. Even if you haven't reviewed it and there are things about the project you have questions or comments about, we welcome them.

*No Working Group members had any questions or comments. Rosie Dilger transitioned the meeting to Item 6.*

### **Item 6. Public Right of Way/Public Realm Discussion with SFMTA's Daniel Sheeter**

*Rosie Dilger introduced Rafe Rabalais to give an overview of the topic.*

Rafe Rabalais: We have with us tonight, Daniel Sheeter, a Senior Transportation Planner at the SFMTA. He is Mary Sheeter's (Working Group member) husband. We will be able to distribute any materials that you see on screen. What we want to talk about today is taking a virtual walk around the site, just to share a little bit about this process. What you see is essentially the basis for the CEQA analysis. With that I will hand it over to Daniel who will do an overview block face by block face.

Daniel Sheeter: Anyone want to ask anything before we move on?

Scott Feeney: I was a little concerned to hear that crowding on the sidewalks was not a concern.

Daniel Sheeter: We can discuss that in more detail with our transportation consultants. There's a lot of work that has been done on the inside of the building and the circulation of the building. You can see on the screen the entrances where busses would enter and exit the facility.

*Daniel Sheeter walked through the [site map](#) and answered questions along the way. The conversation turned to Mariposa street design and curb cuts.*



Thor Kaslofsky: Do you know the existing fence line and the amount of crosswalk space? Would 58 feet be bigger?

Rafe Rabalais: We would be exceeding it.

Daniel Sheeter: There is a new bulbout on the Mariposa side of the street. The geometry of that pole will need to be shaped with a certain radius for the busses to pull out of bus stops. The purpose of the bulbouts is to increase pedestrian safety. The proposed dimensions of the bulbout are shown in this plan, some new trees were added, and street parking.

Rafe Rabalais: On the north Side of Mariposa there are a number of parking spots that are designated to become red no parking zones. On the North side of 17th street we will include a bike lane, which will also reduce the amount of parking spaces.

JR Eppler: What's the status of parking controls?

Rafe Rabalais: That's a good reminder to touch base with the SFMTA staff who are working on this project. The previous timeline for the parking plan is late 2021.

Magda Freitas: I am looking on Hampshire street, on one side you're doing perpendicular parking while the other is parallel?

Daniel Sheeter: It's a width requirement for emergency vehicles for the fire department.

Rafe Rabalais: The thought is that we're able to preserve more parking.

Daniel Sheeter: We don't have an update on the timeline because it was put on hold due to COVID.

Scott Feeney: Is there a possibility for 17th street to be car free?

Licina Iberri: We are looking at a 17th Street variant in the CEQA EIR, where it is lined with active use, potentially retail. Thor is right that sometimes developers will use environmental review as a reason for things can't be done. We are proceeding with this variant in the environmental review now to keep our options on the table later on. The SFMTA isn't that excited about the concept of child care on the site because of potential conflicts with larger vehicles and pullout, but if a design team can thoughtfully put it together and the stakeholders really want it, we do not oppose.

Regarding street closure to cars (17th Street), we reviewed this with our internal traffic engineering team, and there is not support for closure to cars at this time because a large majority of development is on the east side of the city, and there are not many east-west through streets that clear US-101. 16th St is a transit heavy street and we are investing now to see improvements on that street. 17th Street is a bike route, but also carries lots of vehicle and commercial traffic across neighborhoods. We can slow down traffic or do other improvements potentially, but it was felt that 17th Street would not be a good idea for closure on this block.

Rafe Rabalais: A complete closure of 17th Street may be too taxing.



Scott Feeney: To me it makes more sense to curtail traffic and open streets up more for people on bikes, busses, and people.

Rafe Rabalais: The concern was a full blown shut down and the consequences of that.

Daniel Sheeter: One note that we really didn't delve into was the elimination of parking next to the park. This was to protect the bike lanes on the eastern side of the block. The intent is to protect the bike lanes with concrete protection... (curb cut stuff). We want to eliminate the bike lane interruptions.

Alex Harker: What about a traffic table for 17th Street?

Daniel Sheeter: We have been looking about tabling a portion of 17th Street.

Alex Harker: They've done it on parts of Market Street, and it's made things safer.

*Time required ending the discussion of the item but SFMTA staff noted that another conversation about Right of Way/Public Realm could be included in a future Working Group meeting or as a separate meeting. Rosie Dilger then transitioned the conversation to update the Working Group on the Public Benefits Principles.*

## **Item 7. Public Benefits Principles Update**

*Rosie Dilger introduced Adrienne to lead the update.*

Adrienne Heim: Thanks, Rosie. I won't hold us for too long. We incorporated a lot of the feedback that we received at the last meeting. We're going to have a final set of comments, so if you have any final comments to the latest draft, please let me know.

*All Working Group members agreed with the latest draft of the Public Benefits Principles.*

Adrienne Heim: We are going to send this to Arup to format and include into the RFP.

*Rosie Dilger then transitioned the Working Group to Item 8.*

## **Item 8. Virtual Engagement Public Event Update**

Adrienne Heim: The last virtual event that took place was to discuss the RFQ and we did a mailing of brochures to stakeholders around the area. While sheltering in place, we held Zoom and Broadnet meetings in English and Spanish.

Rafe and I talked to Roberto Hernandez about some ideas for public engagement during COVID-19. We talked about making a video or slide deck like the Bayview Quick-Build project team and the Better Market Street project team. It could be a set of slides that people can scroll through, it will be available for people to view and comment. I think we're going to make this a hybrid of in-person and virtual engagement, leaning towards a few key events taking place, like the Mission Food Hub. We're still trying to figure out what key events are happening.



We also heard back from the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) and the San Francisco Office of Economic Workforce Development (OEWD) about events they're hosting, we could potentially table there as well.

We have a survey running right now to get feedback on the project RFP. We're still working things out.

*Adrienne walked through the bus cards on SFMTA buses running out of the Potrero and Presidio Yards. Adrienne then walked through the palm cards and posters being distributed to community members for the surveys.*

Adrienne Heim: Rafe and I went before the Latino Task Force to solicit for Working Group members to fill some of the four slots.

*Adrienne made one last request for additional virtual engagement ideas.*

#### **Item 10: Public Comment**

Rosie Dilger: Before handing it off to Jenny, I'd like to remind everyone that since we're in the middle of an open bid and an open procurement, we cannot address any questions or comments around the procurement process or the RFQ at this time. Please address your questions or comments to San Francisco Public Works and online at [SFBid](#).

*Public comment was prompted by Jenny Zhou; no members of the public provided additional comments. Rosie thanked the public for joining the meeting. She then concluded the meeting by informing the public that the rest of the meet will be closed to only the Working Group members.*