|SFMTA home > About Us > Public Notices and Meetings > SFMTA Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) > EMSC November 19, 2008, minutes|
City and County of San Francisco
Engineering, Maintenance and Safety Committee (EMSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 at 4:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order/Roll Call: Chairman Weaver called the meeting to order at 4:00 p.m.
EMSC Members present at Roll Call: Joan Downey (pro tem for Greg Riessen), Daniel Weaver and Ruth Wheeler (pro tem for Steve Ferrario).
EMSC Members absent: Steve Ferrario, Greg Riessen and Jamison Wieser
SFMTA CAC Members, not on this committee, but also present: Norman Rolfe
2. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda: None
3. Adopt minutes of October 22, 2008:
On motion to adopt the minutes of October 22, 2008: Adopted: Ayes – Downey, Weaver and Wheeler (Absent – Ferrario, Riessen and Wieser)
4. Report of the Chairman: Dan Weaver
No report was presented.
5. Maintenance and Repair plans for Historic Street cars and Breda Light Rail Vehicles (Discussion/Action) Elson Hao
Elson Hao, Principle Engineer, Operations Engineering, was not present for this item.
6. Current plans for track replacement projects (Discussion/Action) Tom Kennedy
Tom Kennedy, Deputy Director, Maintenance of Way, gave an overview of critical track replacement projects that must be completed prior to the Carl Street track replacement project. Mr. Kennedy stated that the Carl Street conceptual design will begin in May 2009 with construction to start in mid 2011.
Joan Downey moved the following recommendation:
Motion: WHEREAS Carl Street neighbors have waited more than six years for track replacement on the N-Judah line;
WHEREAS Carl between Arguello Boulevard and the Sunset Tunnel is the narrowest residential street with rail in San Francisco;
WHEREAS The Bredas have caused excessive noise and vibration resulting in damage to homes along Carl Street;
WHEREAS $1.6 million in repairs have been made in this area in the past five years;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED That the SFMTA CAC again urges the SFMTA to expedite Carl Street track replacement and to utilize a direct fixation track method.
On motion to expedite Carl Street track replacement: Adopted: Ayes – Downey, Weaver and Wheeler (Absent – Ferrario, Riessen and Wieser)
7. Carl and Willard Street Intersection and the Hillway and Carl Streets Intersection (Discussion/Action) Tom Folks and Bryant Woo
Tom Folks, Senior Engineer, stated that he has been corresponding with Joan Downey regarding her request to place special signs that say, "Cross Traffic Does Not Stop" at the Carl and Willard Streets intersection as well as at the Hillway and Carl Streets intersection. Mr. Folks stated that such signs were rare and would only be placed at high-density locations. The last accident reported to the SF Police Department involving those intersections in 2004 was resolved by establishing motorcycle parking. Both intersections have good safety histories. Mr. Folks stated that his recent study of those intersections indicates that the special signage is not warranted at this time.
8. Vehicle and Station video taping protocols (Discussion/Action) Ted Unaegbu
Ted Unaegbu, Acting Director of Security, was not present for this item.
9. Committee Members’ Questions/Information Requests (Discussion)
10. Schedule Upcoming Meetings and Agenda Items (Discussion/Action)
Next regular meeting: January 28, 2009, at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075, at 4:00 p.m.
• Maintenance and Repair plans for Historic Street cars and Breda Light Rail Vehicles (Discussion/Action) Elson Hao
• Vehicle and Station video taping protocols (Discussion/Action) Ted Unaegbu
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:38 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย