|SFMTA home > About Us > Public Notices and Meetings > SFMTA Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) > EMSC November 14, 2007, minutes|
City and County of San Francisco
Engineering, Maintenance & Safety Committee (EMSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 3:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order / Roll Call: Chairman Weaver called the meeting to order at 3:08 p.m.
EMSC Members present at Roll Call: Daniel Weaver (Chairman) and Steve Ferrario.
EMSC Members absent: Bruce Oka (excused) and Jamison Wieser (excused).
SFMTA CAC Members, not on this committee, but also present: Norman Rolfe (Pro temp for Jamison Wieser) (Mr. Rolfe departed at 4:40 p.m.)
SFMTA staff and other city departments present: Debra Reed (SFMTA CAC Secretary), Adrian Moy (SFMTA Deputy Director – Safety and Training), David Chan (SFMTA Trainer), Murray Bond (Deputy Director for Strategic Communications), Don Gee, Ken McDonald (SFMTA Chief of Operations) and John Byrd (SFMTA Deputy Director for Rail Operations).
2. Adopt minutes of October 10, 2007:
Motion to adopt minutes: unanimously approved.
3. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda: None
4. Report of the Chairman: Dan Weaver
5. Maintenance Training: (Discussion/Action) Adrian Moy and David Chan
Mr. Moy said that the training staff consisted of two trainers and a retiree. Currently, there are four vacancies for trainers. The Agency relies heavily on vendor training. There is a joint labor management training project with the Community Transportation Center funded by grants from the FTA and the Department of Labor. There had been discussion by the SFMTA and other agencies to partner with City College to provide a curriculum for a technician career path.
Questions and Comments
Chairman Weaver asked about the emergency crew. Mr. Moy said that there is no standing emergency crew. Inspectors and supervisors have been identified on a rotational base to respond as a team to troubled locations. External Affairs recruit office personnel to serve as service quality groups to assist with crowd control and distribute information updates. Buses are used to provide alternate service until full service can be restored.
Mr. Ferrario commented that there were no institutes for historical and cable cars. Mr. Moy said that trainers have been working closely with key employees to develop a training based on retiree’s knowledge.
Chairman Weaver asked about strategies to avoid future 12-hour tunnel shut downs due to computer failures. Mr. Byrd said that computer restrictions have been removed to allow manual driving operations. Mr. Byrd is having discussions with Thalis to coordinate training. Ken McDonald (COO) is looking to have Thalis reevaluate the ATCS system for upgrades.
Chairman Weaver asked if the SFMTA met bus vehicle maintenance standards. Mr. Moy stated that all buses at the Woods facility that were tested by the California Highway Patrol passed inspection.
6. Communicating SFMTA Service Interruptions to the Public: (Discussion/Action) Murray Bond and Don Gee
Mr. Bond said that the SFMTA recently signed a contract with MISI Consultants to develop an E-Alert communication system for system failures and stoppages.
7. The SFMTA recommends that the SFMTA increase the Rail Maintenance staff by 50% from current levels thereby returning them to their levels in the year 2000: (Discussion/Action) Ken McDonald
Mr. McDonald said that rather than looking at staff levels from year 2000 his focus has been on increasing staff based on annual mileage. Annual mileage increased with the advent of the T-Third. In light of TEP and Proposition A, Mr. McDonald expected his new plan would be ready for presentation to the CAC in January/February 2008. The item will be continued.
8. Committee Members’ Questions/Information Requests: (Discussion)
9. Agenda Planning for the Next Regular Meeting Tentatively Scheduled:
Next regular meeting: January 23, 2008, at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075, at 3:00 p.m.
• Maintenance and Operation Budget FY08-09 – Ken McDonald
10. Adjournment: The meeting officially adjourned at 4:40 p.m. with the departure of Pro Temp Normal Rolfe. With no quorum, remaining members continued in conversation.
Respectfully submitted by:
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย