The SFMTA’s Livable Streets Subdivision encompasses the agency’s Bicycle, Pedestrian, Traffic Calming, and School Area Safety programs.
Our vision is that San Francisco will lead North America in providing attractive, safe streets and sidewalks, and that everyone here will choose to walk and bike for most non-transit travel.
Our mission is to create safe and inviting streets and sidewalks for all who walk and use a bicycle.
- Increase Perception of Safety
- Reduce Speeding
- Secure Support for Project Trade Offs
- Market Biking and Walking
- Deliver Great Projects
- Be a Great Place to Work
- Overseeing the short-term capital improvements to the Bicycle, Pedestrian and Traffic Calming programs and managing the School Crossing Guard Program
- Improving pedestrian, bicyclist, transit and motorist safety
- Partnering with community organizations and policy makers to provide planning, design and engineering solutions, education, and outreach strategies to enhance safety and neighborhood livability
- Providing crossing assistance at key intersections for school children throughout San Francisco